The Metropolitan Library System affirms that all its libraries are forums for information and ideas, and that the following basic policies should guide their services.
- Our books and other library resources should be provided for the interest, information, and enlightenment of all people and municipalities in Oklahoma County. Materials should not be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of those contributing to their creation.
- Our libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues. Materials should not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.
- Our libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.
- Our libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.
- Our libraries do not deny or abridge a person's right to use our libraries because of origin, age, background, or views.
- Our libraries, which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms on an equitable basis to the public they serve, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.
- Our libraries will not knowingly purchase or retain materials that are judicially determined to be illegal under Oklahoma law.